No matter how advanced the beauty industry gets, fine lines and wrinkles remain a huge topic of concern. As many gels, creams, and serums in today’s market you’d think someone would finally defeat ageing. Unfortunately gravity still wins the war so before you result to insane methods like bird poop facials or expensive plastic surgery try an electrical facial.
What exactly is an electrical facial?
Electrotherapy is the professional term for an electrical facial. It involves using electrical current to treat skin issues. The first record of electrotherapy practice dates back to the 19th century when it was discovered that electricity can make frog legs twitch. Further research was conducted throughout the years and later resulted in the creation of electrotherapy machinery.
How does it work?
Electrical facials function through polarity. Most methods involve using either the positive or negative poles to create an effect. This will vary depending on which electrical modality you choose. There are different electrical modalities (treatments) which depends on skin concern:
Galvanic treatments are the most common of all electrical facials. This method can help unclog pores, treat cellulite and force skincare formulas further into the skin. During a Galvanic facial you will first go through a process called Desincrustation in which a negative polarity is used to clean the face. Desincrustation helps breakdown oil, treat acne, and clear follicles so your skincare formula can get as deep as possible during the next step. Anaphoresis involves using a negative pole to place products high in alkaline deep into the pores. The last phase Cataphoresis uses a positive pole to force acidic products into the skin. Some of the effects of Galvanic current includes:
- Increased circulation
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Deep product penetration
- Improves skin absorption
- Brightens the skin
Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation
Called NMES or a Faradic treatment this type of electrical facial stimulates the muscles. An alternating current is sent through the skin which actually causes the muscles to contract. This treatment can also be done on the body to target other muscles in need of stimulation. Sinusoidal current is very similar to faradic but is much gentler. Sinusoidal may be better for those who are sensate or need treatment in a more delicate area. Faradic/ Sinusoidal treatment benefits include:
- Improved muscle tone
- Increased blood flow
- Stimulation of hair growth
- Improved metabolism
This modality activates the skin through high impact oscillation. There are two options concerning high frequency facials:
- The direct method involves placing a glass tool directly on the skin. This method is commonly used to heal acne or disinfect the skin.
- The indirect method works when your client hold the tool and the esthetician massages the face while an electric current is released from her fingertips.
Benefits of a high frequency treatment include:
- Improved blood flow
- Higher collagen and elastin production
- Skin toning
- Heals skin lesions
- Clears acne
- Provides oxygen for the skin
A micro-current treatment works by copying the way the body creates electrical impulses. The current is very low but help to firm muscles. This method has also been used to help those suffering from stroke or paralysis.
Benefits of micro-current include:
- Increased muscle tone
- Improved collagen and elastin production
- Soothes skin
- Heals skin more rapidly
- Increases blood and lymph flow
Am I a good candidate for an electrical facial?
Most people can benefit from the effects of en electrical facial but if any of these things pertain to you do not seek electrical treatments:
- Those wearing a pacemaker
- Anyone who has been diagnosed with a heart condition
- Those suffering from high blood pressure
- Those with epilepsy
- Anyone with open cuts, sores, or abrasions
- Anyone who has pustular acne
- Those who are pregnant
- Those with metal implants (dental or facial)
- Those with spider veins
- Sensitive skin types
- Those on Accutane or and skin thinning medication
- Those who have recently gotten a chemical peel or laser procedure.
What Should I expect during an electrical facial?
The procedure of your facial will differ depending on the type of treatment you are receiving but there are a few things you should expect should you decide to get an electrical facial.
- You will be lying on a facial table/chair during the procedure. They are normally very comfortable so you are able to relax.
- There will be a questionnaire. Before getting started with the procedure your esthetician will as a series of question regarding your skin, skincare routine, and lifestyle. This will determine that you are receiving the correct procedure or save you from something that isn’t safe.
- Free yourself from all distractions. There is no need to bring a friend or any games along to keep you busy because this service has an aura of relaxation. There may be soft spa music playing during the procedure but do not ruin the environment with noisy devices.
- You may feel the current. The current is very low during electrical facials but you may still fell a small shock. It will not hurt but it may startle you.
There are normally no aftercare requirements for electrical facials. In most cases your esthetician will show you products that are great for maintaining your skin. If you are someone who gets Botox, electrical facials are often prescribed for better results.
There are no known side effects for electrical facials. When receiving a Galvanic treatment you may experience a slight metal taste.
Can I perform an electrical facial at home?
An electrical facial normally begins at about $100.00 and can go up from there. These procedures are normally about an hour but some places have options to buy less time. If this seems too steep, especially since you want to continue treatments, try an at home device.
These handheld devices claim to be just effective as a spa procedure at a much lower price tag. They are usually about the size of your palm and fits in perfectly similar to a computer mouse. Most machines come with their own skincare formulas to use with their device so there is no need to buy anything extra. Nu FACE is a popular at home facial toning device that performs using the micro current method. It is FDA cleared and backed by icons like Madonna and Kate Winslet. Celebrity makeup artists also use these devices to firm skin before makeup application.
Electrical facials are booming at the moment. Plastic surgeons offices and spas are going crazy over these treatments due to their amazing results. What do you think? Would you try an electrical facial?